June 28, 2010 (WLS) — Chef Julius Russell of A Tale of Two Chefs takes center stage at the Dominick’s Cooking Corner on July 4. The popular Chicago chef will be closing out the weeklong span of presentations by some of America’s top chefs. Chef Julius will share new recipes along with coveted tricks of the trade. During the action packed demo, Chef will take you on a journey, exploring the flavors of Caribbean, Asian and New American cuisines. The first 150 guests will receive “Chef Goodie Bags” filled with some of Chef Julius’ hand picked culinary favorites.
Chef Julius serves as owner of A Tale of Two Chefs, TV Host on Big Ten Network Executive Chef for KeHe Distributors. Inspired by his training at the Le Cordon Bleu Academie d’Art Culinaire de Paris and New Orleans School of Cooking, he specializing in “World Fusion” cuisine that he describes as carefully blending his French and Creole training with flavors and techniques from around the globe. For more information visit his newly launched, interactive website www.taleof2chefs.comor check out Chef’s new blog post about the upcoming demo “Wait Til This Year” | Taste of Chicago Blog Post. See below for a list of other chefs appearing at the Dominick’s Cooking Corner.
You can meet Chef Julius at 3 pm on Sunday, July 4 at Dominick’s Cooking Corner, just east of Buckingham Fountain at the Taste of Chicago. Or you can try out some of his favorite recipes:
Red Monkey Hickory Smoked Balsamic Steak
3 Rib eye steaks (1in thick)
4T Red Monkey Hickory Smoked Balsamic Seasoning
3T Giangrandi Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1T Smokin Joe’s Garlic Sauce
1T coarse ground black pepper
– In a re-closeable plastic bag, place the steaks, 3T Red Monkey Seasoning, 2T olive oil, garlic sauce & black pepper.
– Massage the ingredients into the steaks. Marinate in the refrigerator for 15-30 min. Remove 5min before cooking.
– Place a nonstick or seasoned cast iron grill pan on the stovetop for 2-3min.
– Place steaks onto the hot pan & let cook for AT LEAST 3-4min without touching them
– Turn steaks over and allow them to cook to desired doneness, 4-5 min for medium rare.
– Remove steaks & allow them to rest on warm serving plates or cutting board for 3min.
– While steak is resting, sprinkle the remaining Red Monkey Hickory Smoked Balsamic Seasoning & drizzle the rest of the Giangrandi Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
– Thinly slice to be a part of bruschetta or serve each steak individually
Sweet & Spicy Broccoli
1lb of chopped broccoli (frozen)
2T Giangrandi Extra Virgin Olive Oil Intense Blend
3T Nature Isle Tropical Gourmet Mango Pepper Sauce
2T Ojai Cook ‘Bite Back’ Teriyaki Sauce
1pk Savory Choice Chicken or Vegetable Broth Concentrate, plus 1/2 cup water
– Place a 10-12in sauté pan on med-high heat for 2min
– Add Giangrandi extra virgin olive oil, heat for 2min more, add the frozen broccoli
– Sauté the broccoli 4-5 min. Add mango pepper & “bite back” teriyaki sauces to the broccoli
– Add the contents of Savory Choice packet & ½ cup water. Stir in, cover and cook on med for 5-7min, until broccoli is heated through.
– Remove pan from heat & serve vegetables hot as a great side dish.
Roasted Red Pepper & Mango Aioli
1 cup Ojai Cook Lemonaise
2T roasted red peppers (pureed)
2T Nature Isle Tropical Gourmet Mango Chutney (pureed)
1T Red Monkey Tres Chili Seasoning
1tsp cayenne pepper
1T Giangrandi Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil (optional)
– In a metal bowl, add all of the wet ingredients (except olive oil) and mix together with a spoon, until the color is even and the texture is smooth.
– Next add the dry seasonings, mix them evenly into the blend.
– If mixture is too thick, add the olive oil. This will help thin it out and extend the finish when you taste it.
– This is a very wine friendly dipping sauce for roasted potatoes or spread it on a bun to jazz up a turkey burger.